AWIM® Learn Twice Communities
Project OverviewIt is often said that "To teach is to learn twice", and it is through this philosophy that SAE International will engage university students by facilitating opportunities to volunteer in A World In Motion (AWIM) classrooms through the AWIM Learn Twice Initiative. For over 20 years, the AWIM program has focused on STEM education at the K-12 level. Much of this work has been supported by incorporating working STEM professionals into AWIM classrooms to serve as mentors and content experts. The AWIM Learn Twice Initiative creates a pathway for university students to expand this reach by participating in AWIM classrooms. The AWIM Learn Twice Initiative provides a memorable learning experience for K-12 students as well as university students. The initiative provides university students with an opportunity to teach and advise younger learners on STEM concepts like force, friction, and motion and allows them to gain a better understanding of how these concepts are integrated and applied to their own studies. Additionally, this opportunity allows university students to give back to their local community and will also meet community service hours that an increasing number of universities require for graduation.
SAE International's Pre-professional Educational Programming staff will provide the necessary training, curriculum, and materials to teachers and university students in the U.S. and Canada interested in participating in this special initiative. Since the primary target group for this initiative is SAE Collegiate Design Series (CDS) teams, the initiative rewards participating teams by reimbursing the cost of their registration fees to one CDS event during the school year in which they participate. With registration fees for SAE collegiate competitions continuing to increase, a registration fee reimbursement to a competition in which they are participating will allow the teams to focus their existing resources on designing their vehicles.
Project HighlightsThe AWIM Learn Twice Initiative creates...
- an opportunity for K-12 students to explore STEM learning experiences and foster an interest in STEM careers.
- a pathways for SAE Collegiate Design Series (CDS) teams to interact with AWIM students in a mentorship role.
- a unique and memorable STEM learning experience for K-12 and university students.
- an opportunity for university students to teach and advise STEM concepts as the concepts relate to their own study.
- an opportunity for university students to earn community service hours and give back to their community.
- a funding option for CDS teams through reimbursement of one CDS event registration fee.
- an opportunity for teachers local to CDS teams to receive complementary AWIM classroom materials kits.
- an avenue for participating university students and teachers to receive professional development training for AWIM implementation.
- Increase K-12 student interest in STEM education and foster interest in exploring STEM careers.
- Expose 8,000+ additional K-12 students to rich STEM educational experiences through SAE International's A World In Motion Program.
- Pair K-12 students and teachers with a trained collegiate mentor at a 10:1 (or higher) student to mentor ratio through classroom instruction.
- Reimburse up to 50 (500+ college students) Collegiate Design Series team registration fees for CDS events during the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 CDS competition seasons.