BorgWarner CommunitiesBorgWarner is a global technology leader in powertrain solutions. They support a diverse customer base with local support provided by facilities around the globe. Globally, their innovative products help improve fuel economy, air quality, and performance in a variety of vehicles. In many communities, they contribute their time, talent and support to help make the world a better place. Investing in STEM education also builds a strong workforce for the future. BorgWarner has formally committed a total of $150,000 to support SAE Foundation and the A World in Motion® (AWIM) program. In 2015 and 2016, a total of $80,000 ($40,000 each year) is designated for general support of the AWIM program, while $70,000 ($35,000 each year) will be directed specifically to support AWIM in South Carolina in Oconee County School District. Starting in 2017, Borg Warner supported kindergarten classes in Royal Oak and Rochester Hills, Michigan with both financial support and a volunteer presence.
By providing young students with exposure to STEM education and STEM careers, they have the opportunity to realize the importance of STEM and how it relates to everyday activities. As these students mature, and continue with STEM curriculum, they have the tools to seriously consider a career in a STEM field. This opportunity is one that may not have been presented to them otherwise. With funding from BorgWarner, students in South Carolina and Michigan now have that opportunity. The AWIM curriculum provides a unique way for educators to be able to teach STEM concepts to younger students, while providing a path for districts to help meet the standards for science and technology.
- To expand the AWIM program and provide trainings and kits to Oconee County School District in order to introduce students to STEM
- To reach 2,000 students in Oconee County School District
- To provide trainings and kits to Anderson One School district in order to introduce students to the STEM fields
- To educate teachers on ways to teach students about STEM concepts
- To provide an opportunity for employees to give back to the community through classroom volunteer opportunities
- To engage a volunteer presence at the Kindergarten level in Royal Oak and Rochester Hills